- About IDMC
Data & Research
- Global database (GIDD)
- Country profiles
- Research areas
- Monitoring tools
- Sign up
Consultancy: case study on the economic impacts of internal displacement in Kenya
Norwegian Refugee Council
In 2017, IDMC launched a dedicated research programme to assess the economic impacts of internal displacement through its effects on the health, education, livelihoods, housing, security, social life and the environment of IDPs and their hosts. Quantitative data on these effects have never been collected consistently across countries. As part of this programme, we developed an original data collection tool to estimate some of the key economic impacts of internal displacement quantitatively and in a consistent manner across countries.
This consultancy is for the collection of data on the economic impacts of internal displacement in Kenya. Under the supervision of the researcher in charge of this research programme in the Policy and Research department of IDMC, the consultant will:
- Adapt IDMC’s existing survey tool for it to be used in a Computer-Assisted Personal Interviewing platform and translate questions from English to Swahili;
- Recruit, train and manage a team of enumerators to survey IDPs and their hosts in Kenya;
- Identify and interview at least 150 IDPs and 150 hosts in Kenya to collect primary quantitative data on key economic impacts of internal displacement;
- Conduct 10 key informant interviews to collect quantitative and qualitative data on the economic impacts of internal displacement in Kenya, based on IDMC’s key informant interview script;
- Compile, check and clean the survey data and deliver the full data set in a format readable on Microsoft Excel, with open-ended questions translated into good quality English when necessary;
- Deliver a final report including the detailed methodology, a review of the challenges and lessons learnt during the implementation of the survey, detailed notes in English from the key informant interviews and a synthesis of the main quantitative results from the survey.
The consultant is expected to give weekly updates on the project’s implementation, progress, challenges and lessons learnt to the researcher in charge of the research programme. IDMC will communicate any information on internal displacement in Kenya available in its database and will be available to discuss the methodology and adapt it when necessary throughout the project.
CONSULTANCY TIME and IMPLEMENTATION TIMEFRAME
This is a full time (100%) consultancy to be undertaken over the period from 01.04.2019 – 31.05.2019.
- Adapt and translate into Swahili IDMC’s survey tool in a Computer-Assisted Personal Interviewing platform;
- Deliver a clean dataset with survey results in a Microsoft Excel-readable format with open-ended questions translated into English;
- Conduct 10 key informant interviews following IDMC’s script;
- Deliver a final report with detailed notes from the key informant interviews and synthesis of the quantitative results from the survey.
Skills/areas of expertise and qualifications:
- Perfect command of the English language, both written and oral;
- Demonstrated research, analysis and writing skills;
- Demonstrated capacity managing surveys and key informant interviews in Kenya;
- Demonstrated experience conducting similar research in Kenya.
Pre-requisites for application:
- Applications can be accepted only from registered consultancy firms.
- The consultant must be available as of April 1st, 2019.
Consultants should complete an NRC WebCruiter application with their details and upload the following information as part of the application:
- Cover letter / Expression of Interest
- Technical proposal including proposal for survey sampling with estimated representativity, proposed plan of action for the recruitment and training of enumerators and proposed list of potential key informants for the interviews. The proposal should highlight past experiences conducting similar research in Kenya and detail the firm’s capacity in Kenya.
- Financial proposal including all the above deliverables and an indicative timeline for delivery, in CHF or USD only, inclusive VAT and all charges.
- List of references that can be contacted to verify the quality of services.
Link to NRC vacancies for WebCruiter application: https://www.nrc.no/vacancies/
We look forward to receiving your application.