First Session : Ceremony for the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding: 10:00 – 10:30AM
- Welcoming speech by the Director of Al Jazeera Center for Public Liberties and Human Rights (AJCPLHR)
- Signing of the Memorandum of Understanding between the Al Jazeera Media Network (AJN) and the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC)
- Address by the Director General of Al Jazeera Network
- Address by the Director of IDMC
- Offering of the shield of Al Jazeera to the Director of IDMC
Second Session: Presentation of the key findings of the Global Report on Internal Displacement (2019) 10:30 – 12:00PM
- Presentation of the report by the Director of the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre
- Address by the Head of Corporate Governance Sector - Qatar Charity Association and by the Director of Department of International Cooperation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Qatar
- Discussion and Q&A with the audience
Notes on the Global Report:
IDMC’s flagship publication, the Global Report on Internal Displacement (GRID), is the world’s authoritative source of data and analysis on internal displacement in the context of armed conflict, violence and disasters. Each year the report offers new insights into this global phenomenon and presents the latest statistics, country and regional trends.
This year’s report focuses on the issue of urban internal displacement. Towns and cities are increasingly sought after as places of refuge by IDPs. Meanwhile, urban centres are also generating high numbers of new displacement every year. IDMC’s report examines the important role that local governments and municipalities can play in finding practical and sustainable solutions to this issue. The report also reaffirms the need to recognise internal displacement as one of the most pressing global challenges of our time.