About the Global Internal Displacement Database (GIDD)
In an effort to make our data and analysis on internal displacement more user-friendly and transparent, we have developed this interactive platform designed for policy makers, NGOs, researchers, journalists and the general public. The GIDD enables you to explore, filter and sort our data to produce your own graphs and tables which you can export in several different formats. You can also access and export the data used to generate these visualisations.
The GIDD has three main tools for exploring, analysing and viewing displacement data:
- The Displacement Data tab is a portal through which you can view the published figures from our annual flagship reports. These are the figures that have been able to validate through internal quality assurance and external peer review.
- The Global Displacement Risk Model is a tool for exploring and visualising disaster-related displacement risk metrics such as how many people are likely to be displaced per country per year, or over five- or ten-year period. It also enables users to assess the likelihood of the occurrence of specific displacement events, for instance a cyclone that displaces 100,000 people or an earthquake that displaces 50,000 people.
- The Displacement Data Exploration Tool lets users generate their own custom charts using our displacement data, UNHCR’s refugee data and all of the indicators from the World Bank’s open data catalogue. In the coming months, we will update this tool to include even more data related to development and humanitarian assistance and more granular data on specific sectors, such as agricultural production and food availability.
You can access each of these tools through the tabs above. In order to get the most out of each, we have done brief “how to” videos with demonstrations and instructions. From time to time, we convene in-person trainings and workshops with partners to help them get the most out of our tools. If you are interested in learning more about upcoming workshops – or to request that we convene one near you – please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What to look for in the future
We have already begun working on new features for the next version of the GIDD, which we will launch before the end of 2018. In addition to providing updated figures and including more and different types of data, we also plan to feature additional functionality. Because we created this platform with you in mind, please let us know if there are any specific features you’d like to see by contacting us at email@example.com
Geographical and temporal scope of the database
The database aims to provide comprehensive information on internal displacement worldwide. It covers all countries and territories for which IDMC has obtained data on situations of internal displacement, and provides data on situations of:
- Internal displacement associated with conflict and generalized violence (2003-2016);
- Displacement associated with sudden-onset natural hazard-related disasters (2008-2016); and
- Modelled disaster-related displacement risk metrics for more than 200 countries and territories.
“How to” videos
IDMC could not produce its data and evidence without the support of our data providers and other partners. These include: