In December 2022, IDMC led and convened a two-day workshop in Dakar, Senegal to support countries in the Central Sahel to improve and harmonise their internal displacement data. Facilitated with IDMC’s parent organisation, the Norwegian Refugee Council, this workshop brought together representatives from the governments of Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger, along with UN agencies and NGOs.
Confirm the data ecosystem evaluations carried out in the 3 Central Sahel countries;
Present good practices and IDMC’s work;
Identify areas of improvement in existing 3 systems and come up with roadmap to improve these.
- As one of the first regional dialogues on IDP data, government representatives shared good practices and requested advice for data collection and validation improvements from other countries present.
- Participants confirmed IDMC’s mapping of data ecosystem assessments carried out between June and November 2022.
- The workshop allowed communication between country and regional data actors and enabled the brainstorming of roadmaps to fill identified data gaps in respective countries.
- IDMC was identified as a convenor and neutral actor that enables regional dialogue on data collection, validation and coordination.
- The workshop allowed partners present to gain access to methodological information for the three countries and clarified data questions for the GRID.
- Government of Niger (MAH/GC)
- Government of Mali (DNDS)
- Government of Burkina Faso (CONASUR)
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
- Institut national de la statistique du Mali
- International Organisation for Migration (IOM)
- Ministère de l’Action Humanitaire et de la Gestion des Catastrophes (Niger)
- Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- United Nations Office for the coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- United Nations Resident Coordinator’s Office for Niger (UNRCO)
- World Food Programme (WFP)
- Groupe de Coordination Opérationnelle de la Rapid Response (GCORR)
Related expert opinion